This rib-sticking chili offers a hearty mix of oat groats, beans, peppers and onion. You can also substitute wheat berries for the oat groats. I made my own black beans and measured accordingly.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili poweder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 14-ounce cans no salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small can chopped jalapeno peppers
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (I didn't add this)
- 2 cups cooked oat groats
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, about 5 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, jalapenos to taste, broth and brown sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in cooked oat groats and heat through, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in lime juice. Garnish each bowl with avocado and cilantro.
Around 386 calories per serving