Saturday, January 3, 2009

Homemade Caramels

My homemade caramels are getting fairly popular around here!! I have been making these at Christmas time for the last 5 years. This year I even made two batches and it all disappeared! I never had a chance to send my Mom any this time!!


I'll still send you some Mom!!!


This is the easiest caramels to make and the best tasting!!!


Here's what you need:
2 lbs. brown sugar
2 cups corn syrup
2 cups butter
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
2 dashes salt
1 teaspoon vanilla


In a large metal pot over medium heat, add corn syrup and brown sugar and stir until brown sugar is melted. Add butter and melt. Add sweetened condensed milk and salt. Cook and stir constantly until a candy thermometer reaches 245 to 250 degrees F. (I have to stop at 230 because of our altitude of 6000 ft.) You can also do the cold water check making sure it is just a little about the soft ball stage. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Pour into a 9"x13" pan that has been sprayed with butter Pam.

Let cool completely before removing from the pan

Cut into small squares and wrap in wax paper or decorative foils that you can buy at a cake or candy shop


Be sure to only make these for giving out and keep a little for yourself!!! I swear they will be in your mouth whenever you walk by them!!!!


Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!!! Let me know if you make them!!



2 comments:

Tresa Anderson said...

Rhonda - You're the best! I love you posts and I love getting yummy recipes from you via your blog! Can't wait to see you on Thursday! Tresa

Rhonda Christensen said...

Thanks Tresa!! Can't wait to see you too!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

-Sharing and Caring - Cake Decorating and Sugar Art Tutorials Headline Animator

You are all awesome!!

Rhonda's Custom Sweets and Treats's Fan Box