Sunday, June 15, 2008

Anime Cakes

I have been getting asked to do cakes from anime characters. What's anime, you ask? Although the term is used in Japan to refer to animation in general, in English usage the term most popularly refers to material originating from Japan, a subset of animation.


Anime is traditionally hand drawn, but computer assisted techniques have become quite common in recent years. It is used in television series, films, video, video games, and internet-based releases, and represents all genres of fiction. I won't pretend to know anything about anime, because I don't! I just try to do the cakes like the customer specifies.

The first one I did is Gaara. I had no clue as to how to put this character on a cake. I decided to to a frozen buttercream transfer (FBCT). I studied for a long time as to how to do one. I look all over the internet and on Cake Central.com It really wasn't as hard as I thought. My transfer isn't exactly like the picture, but it was close enough that the girl that ordered it for her friend was amazed and happy with it!! YIPPEE!!!

Gaara, the picture.
Gaara, my cake.

Then the same girl asked me to do one for her own birthday! Sure!!! Another FBCT. This one if of Edward Elric.
Edward Elric, the inspiration picture.

Edward Elric, the cake.




Then my son, who is into anime, big time, asked if I would do a cake for his roommate, Duo! Sure!!! "Ummm, can you make a Urahara Kisuki hat. I bought her the real hat for her birthday. She loves the hat." Uhhhh, yeah. Okay!! I'll see what I can do.

The inspiration hat picture.

The Urahara Kisuke Hat cake for Duo!

Anyway...I heard that she loved it and had a hard time cutting it! So I guess I don't really have to know anything about anime to do an anime cake. I just need to learn a little about the character and have a picture to go by! They are fun to do!!!

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Hey, Rhonda!


I accidentally stumbled upon your site because I was looking for a way to order an anime cake for my boyfriend's 20th birthday. Your anime cakes are wonderful!!!

Do you by any chance take orders and ship cakes? If not, I completely understand.

Keep up the delicious work!

~Carolyn

Unknown said...

Hi Rhonda,

First of all i LOVE your cake work. I was wondering also if you ship cakes (to Ohio). I love anime and was wondering if you could make me a cake for my sweet 16 birthday party (which is on July 17). If you dont take orders to make cakes or you dont ship that is fine but thankyou for your time in reading this. Please respond back to me at rukia_ruka72@yahoo.com.

thanks, Shelbie

Related Posts with Thumbnails

-Sharing and Caring - Cake Decorating and Sugar Art Tutorials Headline Animator

You are all awesome!!

Rhonda's Custom Sweets and Treats's Fan Box